The masters programmes at the Centre of Excellence are designed to develop highly skilled professional graduates in all key areas required in the maritime sector and, in the offshore oil and gas sector, ranging from research and development, design, construction/installation, to operation and maintenance of equipment and facilities.
The program conform to the specified standards and satisfy the requirements of the NUC Benchmark for Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS). At completion of the programme, graduates of the Centre would have acquired the requisite skills to make them fully functional and ready for opportunities in the maritime and oil and gas industry.
A successful completion of the academic programme will lead to the award of Master of Technology (MTech) degree of the Rivers State University and the Certificate of the Centre named “Diploma of the Centre of Excellence (DCoE)”
Naval Architecture and Ship Building
Duration of Programme
The programmes are designed to cover a period of eighteen (18) months which includes six (6) months of internship geared towards executing a research project with practical applications in an Offshore Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Company or other key areas of Marine and Offshore Engineering. Academic Activities for the 2023/2024 Cycle are scheduled to commence in January 2024.
Graduates from NUC and COREN Accredited University programmes (in Nigeria) or highly recognized/rated foreign University who also satisfy the following conditions are eligible to apply for admission:
- A Bachelor degree with a First Class or Second Class Upper Division with a CGPA of not lower than 3.5 on a 5-point Scale/System.
- The degree must be in any of the following engineering disciplines:
- Marine Engineering
- Naval Architecture
- Offshore/Subsea Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- School certificate/GCE/SSCE ‘O’ level with credit in five subjects not more than two sittings that must include the following.
- English Language
- The National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) Discharge Certificate (For Nigerians).
Method of Application
Application forms should be completed on-line, downloaded and hard copies submitted to the Director, Centre of Excellence in Marine and Offshore Engineering, Rivers State University along with the following:
- Certified academic transcripts. It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that copies of their academic transcripts are forwarded under confidential cover directly to the Director, Centre of Excellence in Marine and Offshore Engineering, Rivers State University, Nkpolu-Oroworukwo, Port Harcourt.
- Scanned copies of all relevant certificates, (including the NYSC Discharge certificate for Nigerian.)
- Letters of reference from three referees (including one from the academic institution last attended) stating that the candidate is qualified to undertake advanced studies and research and that the referee is confident that the applicant will benefit from the training.
- A brief description in not more than one page of their work experience and current task(s) and how the training will add value to them.
- Corporate bodies and agencies that wish to nominate their staff can do so by endorsing completed application forms as sponsors. Such nominees are also expected to satisfy the above stated admission requirements.
List of Documents Required to be Uploaded
- Passport photograph
- Local government identification letter / certificate (For Nigerians only)
- Birth Certificate / Age declaration
- NYSC discharge certificate (Nigerians only)
- First degree certificate
- Second degree certificate
- O level certificate